Venezuela Condemns US “Colonialist Threat” as Trump Abruptly Closes Airspace

111

Tensions between the United States and Venezuela escalated dramatically over the weekend after former President Donald Trump declared the airspace around the South American nation “closed in its entirety,” prompting a furious response from the government in Caracas and raising questions about the legality and implications of the move.

The crisis unfolded on Saturday when Trump, using his Truth Social platform, issued a sweeping declaration: “To all Airlines, Pilots, Drug Dealers, and Human Traffickers, please consider THE AIRSPACE ABOVE AND SURROUNDING VENEZUELA TO BE CLOSED IN ITS ENTIRETY.” The post, which blurred the lines between official policy and political rhetoric, lacked any accompanying executive order or official directive from the Federal Aviation Administration (FAA).

Venezuela’s Defiant Response

The Venezuelan government responded swiftly and defiantly. In an official statement, it condemned Trump’s announcement as a “colonialist threat” against its national sovereignty and a blatant violation of international law, which grants nations control over their own airspace.

“The Bolivarian Republic of Venezuela demands absolute respect for its airspace and will not accept orders or threats from any foreign power,” the statement read. It further revealed that, as a direct consequence of Trump’s proclamation, all migrant deportation flights from the U.S. to Venezuela had been “unilaterally suspended.” These flights have been a cornerstone of the Trump administration’s aggressive immigration and deportation agenda, making their suspension a significant point of leverage for Caracas.

A Context of Escalating Pressure

Trump’s social media post did not occur in a vacuum. It is the latest in a series of escalating actions targeting the government of President Nicolás Maduro, whom the U.S. and dozens of other nations have refused to recognize since his controversial 2018 re-election.

  • Military Buildup: In recent months, the U.S. has significantly increased its military presence in the Caribbean, deploying warships, surveillance aircraft, and special forces under the banner of counter-narcotics operations.

  • Covert Authorization: Reports have confirmed that Trump has authorized covert operations by the Central Intelligence Agency (CIA) in Venezuela, aimed at destabilizing Maduro’s regime.

  • Lethal Strikes: Since September, U.S. forces have carried out at least 21 strikes on boats allegedly smuggling drugs, resulting in the deaths of at least 83 people. Analysts note that the military firepower assembled for these interdictions far exceeds what is typically required for anti-drug missions.

  • Threat of Ground Operations: Just this week, Trump told U.S. military service members that the nation would “very soon” begin land operations to stop suspected Venezuelan drug traffickers, a statement that alarmed regional security experts.

Confusion and Precedent

The announcement has created confusion in the aviation and international communities. While the FAA last week issued a warning to major airlines about a “worsening security situation and heightened military activity” when flying over Venezuela, it stopped short of closing the airspace. Trump’s declaration, made via social media, lacks the formal mechanisms of a NOTAM (Notice to Airmen) typically used for such drastic actions.

“This is an unprecedented and legally dubious move,” said Dr. Elena Forero, a professor of international law at Georgetown University. “Nations close their own airspace; they don’t unilaterally close the airspace of other sovereign states. This is less a practical aviation directive and more a political act of intimidation, further straining the bounds of international norms.”

In retaliation for the initial FAA warning, Venezuela revoked the operating rights for six major international airlines that had preemptively suspended their flights.

The Core of the Conflict

At the heart of the confrontation are two opposing narratives. The Trump administration has relentlessly accused Maduro and his inner circle of operating a “narco-state” and being involved in large-scale drug trafficking—charges Maduro vehemently denies. For the U.S., the pressure campaign is about combating narcotics and restoring democracy.

For Maduro, who has maintained power since 2013 with the support of the military and international allies like Russia and China, the U.S. actions are a transparent attempt at regime change. He has consistently argued that Washington is seeking to control Venezuela’s vast oil reserves and has vowed that the Venezuelan people and armed forces will resist any foreign intervention.

The U.S. Department of Defense did not immediately respond to requests for comment on the operational or legal basis for Trump’s airspace declaration. The silence from official channels underscores the highly irregular nature of the policy announcement and leaves the international community watching closely to see what concrete actions, if any, will follow the inflammatory rhetoric.

 

 

  Donate Here

Support Dawat Media Center

If there were ever a time to join us, it is now. Every contribution, however big or small, powers our journalism and sustains our future. Support the Dawat Media Center from as little as $/€10 – it only takes a minute. If you can, please consider supporting us with a regular amount each month. Thank you
DNB Bank AC # 0530 2294668
Account for international payments: NO15 0530 2294 668
Vipps: #557320

Comments are closed.